Green Card

A permanent resident card also known as a “green card” refers to the identification card given to you after you become a permanent resident of the US. The green card is also called an I-551 card or alien registration card by the government. It is usually valid for 10 years and renewable for an indefinite period of time.

Permanent residence can be granted to individuals based upon family relationships; through employment with a U.S. employer; extraordinary ability; investment, and through various other avenues.

Green card through family members

United States citizens and lawful permanent residents have the right to file a petition to bring certain family members to live permanently in the United States. The goal behind this type of green card is to promote family unity. There are different waiting periods for family members depending on your relationship with the petitioning citizen or permanent resident and your country of birth. In order to find out more about how to unite your family you need to speak with an experienced attorney at our law firm. Let our Sacramento immigration law firm bring unity to your family.

Green card through employers

Another way to obtain a green card is through an employment-based petition. In most cases, the process begins with filing a labor certification with the Department of Labor. The labor certification process involves advertising for U.S. workers, and the labor certification is filed if no qualified U.S. workers respond to such advertising. Additionally, following the labor certification approval, the employer must show that it has the ability to pay the employee the prevailing wage for the position. Our California immigration law firm can assist in this type of petition.

The most common ways to get a Green Card are through marriage to a U.S. citizen, as the child or parent of a U.S. citizen, or through a business-employee relationship. The U.S. government also holds a “Green Card lottery” every year, in which approximately 55,000 applicants are randomly selected for the opportunity to apply for permanent residency in the United States.

The Sacramento green card lawyers of Bowman & Associates help clients across California with immigration law questions and issues. If you or someone you know has legal questions regarding green cards, visas, deportation and more, contact our experienced attorneys for a free consultation.